Wednesday 11 April 2007

Today's Eden Vallencia, Spain 30 km 1.5 hrs

Today I found my country side..... I began in Gardia, Spain a medium size metropolis situated on the cost of the Mediterranean . Hose, the owner of a local bicycle shop in Vallencia, suggested a route consisting of coastal roads that quickly become mountain paths to the Serra Gallineras mountain range. As I begin my journey, my heart feels like it is in my stomach. The unknown of my upcoming travels on my bike make me hesitant just for a moment. Will I get lost? What will I do if I come upon a mean Spanish dog or even worse a persistent Spanish man? Unfortunately mace is hard to come by in this country. As I come to my first round-about, field with multiple cars yielding before entering, I have vision of becoming a hood ordiment to a diesel fueled BMW. I remind myself to be extra cautious.
I can see the mountains...or foothills (depending on your definition of mountains) in the horizon. The land soon becomes rolling and rows of orange trees ordiment the landscape. If you can imagine what it smells like to put your face in a southern Honey suckle bush- multiple this by 5 and you can begin to know what orange groves in Spain smell like. I wonder if I pick one will I be confronted by aSpanish man with a shotgun. I remind myself that I am not in Tennessee. I opt to hold off on partaking in oranges from the road side... just for now.
The hills soon become mountains and I am reminded of Santa Monica California and the similar Spanish style. Houses built into the mountain foothills ranging in colors of earth tones. Large arched windows over look the landscape.
I finally reach the little town situated 15 km from Gandia. I feel like I have just stepped into a storey book village. The quaint town had no traffic at this time, I soon learn it is siesta time in Spain. I begin exploring the single pathways with seemingly vertical roads that wind up the mountain side. The mosaic tiles, lush greenery, and iron cast windows and balconies are the perfect back drop for a evening walk with a significant other. I am content with my bike. I pass a elderly woman and ask her to take my picture. She is hesitant so I opt to take a picture of myself.
I can hear a little boy practicing his horn and being encourage by his mother.I am in the real Spain, far from tourists, MC Donalds, and cars.....
Hose, my cycle shop buddy, was persistent that I visit Relliajar. I ask if this was a town and if it is on the map. He said no...it is a beautiful place. I can access a portion of the mountain bike trail via a paved road. I wind up the single paved mountain pass road that follows the river. The pitch becomes at least 14% grade. I have to stand to make it up the multiple switch backs.
I approach the peak and become overwhelmed with peacefulness. The mountain top touches the clouds. I feel like I can reach up and touch them.This is a special place, God is here. I am quick to call the place the Spanish Eden, but know my future travels will result in many Edens. So it is today's Eden.



Amor,
k






















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ride on Sister! It looks and sounds like you are having a great time. Can't wait for your next input on your blog. Miss practicing yoga with you at the Fort! SM-