Thursday 19 April 2007

Mountains of Cinque Terre, Parco Nationale Delle Cinque Terre 50 km , 3hrs

I sit exausted on the train. Just finishing my ride, I eat a egg plant and mozerella sandwich purchased at the local Mc Donalds. I reflect on the amazing day I had of riding.

I did not bother to set the alarm this morning . The local roosters and church bells have awaken me at 5:30 am every morning. I arrise and set off to explre the costal highway that follows the sea. It is about 1,00 ft above the train that i trecked the day before. I climp out of Ricconnie winding up the painful verticle streets. I can feel my muscles ache due to my hike yesterday. I decide to do the technical sea costal highway. I think to myself that I was wrong yesterday, and determine that this is the hardest climb I have ever done. I wind up the mountain switchbacks that overlook the sea. I have to remind myself at times to focus on the road and limit my glances to the horizon. The beauty from this high above is different than the day before. The sea side villages that I trecked through look miles away. The green of the forest on the mountains that I ride over feels like a different place.




After 45 minutes and 20km of climbing, I remember that I do not like switch backs but this thought soon leaves me as I begin to descend down the mountain pass that I just climbed. Chills overcome my body, the excitement of speed is my high. I lean my bike over as I hug the sharp curves. I concentrate on the goal of holding a clean line so I do not end up running off the highway. I must continue inward dipping into the back side of the mountain that I summited. I ride into a fimilar place, lush green woods are flowered with cherry blossoms. The trees grow above me and close together to form a canopy. The cherry blossom flowers release into the wind and brush my face with kisses. I must pinch myself to remind me that I am not dreaming. Two and a half hours into my ride I stop and ask two policemen the direction of my destination for the day. They spend much time with me and seem entertained by me. Of course I get their picture as they tuck their machine guns behind their back.



I soon find myself to my final destinatin reflecting on an amazing day eating Mc Donals for the first time in 3 years.
Amore,
Katelyn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, they have ggplant sandwiches at mcdonalds? why don't we? probly cause thier culture likes to eat healthier than we do. do you think they would go over well here? miss you lots,
mom