Tuesday 24 April 2007

Rome in a day, But first a last Tuscun Ride 30 km 1.5 hrs

I have to leave my tuscany today. One more ride this morning, just one more. I feel at home at the Bassetto. In my mind I have already lived here. Know what it would be like to wake up in the morning, go for a ride, then off to the market to buy fresh food for the day, take a nap on the hammok, and then join the family for a large late meal... and hopefully learn Itallian. I guess I have have been day dreaming a little, wich can be very dangerous on a bike ride to be in la-la land for major portions of the journey. An offer by the oweners have sparked this idea in my head. My own room in this gorgeous place, free wireless, cash for taking guest on bicycle tours, and all I have to do is clean the kitchen, change the sheets, and ride my bike. Yes the perfect quiet place to write a dissertation.It is very tempting, but giving up the chance for a perfect job in the states would be crazy... I guess I will see if they offer me the position, if not I will be back to my Tuscany.

So yes, Rome in a day. Most people think I am crazy. Especially the Itallians.
they say... YOU AMERICAN ALWAYS RUSH AND WANT TO SEE TOO MUCH. I am not rushing, actaully I have been the oppisit, truthfully all I would want to see in Rome, I can do in a day. I rather be on my bike in the country side.

I awake early in Rome with hopes to beat the crowds. The plan takes me to the colosseo, you know where the gladiators use to play. As I emerge from the underground metro, I am taken back by the enormous size of the crumbling structure. Ancient bricks were diligently laid to form the house of games for ancient roman spectators. Cobbled streets circle and as I walk I can begin to imagine the sounds of the crowds chanting and cheering the gladiators to victory.

As I begin to wander down the street throught the roman gardens I pass by dozens of caged remains of ancient buildings that now house pigeons and cats.




I find the ancient ruins of history class.. and what can I possible say to describe them. I am in Saint Peters square. I stand before the alpha of christianity.I am overwhelmed with the crowds, traffic, the noise, and cameras.




I have had enough and can see more and moreI am not a city girl afterall. I miss my Tuscany. So I did see Rome in a day and it ended with the best gelato ever.


Amore, Katelyn

No comments: