Sunday 22 April 2007

The perfect Ride,Centaldo to Siena,Tuscany 40 km and 2 hrs


Tuscany is a as beautiful as all the pictures you have seen. Numerous hughs of green span to form the blue green of the olive trees to the yellow green of spring grass. This is the back drop of my adventure to Siena on my bicycle.



As I ride the hills of the tuscun counryside, I become memorizing due to their pattens of verticle and horizontal fields of vinyards and olive groves.
Each patch of land has endless rows of tuscun treasures with cypress trees speratically placed to add depth and protection.
Flowers of every color appear as I turn each cornor. I question if the next bend will bring even greater views of the gorgeous flora. Every shade of red, tellow, orange, blue, purple, green can be found on my ride.




I am reminded of God's amazing creation as I realize where I am. It also helps to be reminded by the numerous monumnets to the virgin Marry that are placed at many of the road intersections, entrances to vinyards-churches-and homes.




I reach Monteriggioni, a present day castle from the 13th century. The defence bulwark was built as a round circle that "crowns herself with towers". Inside I find cobble stone pathways leading to cellar shops.For a moment i try to pretend what it may be like to live during this time inside these grand stone walls overlooking the countryside.



Siena, if you could imagine is a great midevil city perched a hill top, surrounded by great stone walls and towers. As I wind up to cobbled road pathways, moden day clothing stores, resturants, internet cafe's, apartments replace what was once midevil butcher shops, fresh markets, and stables.





I pass a hair salon and decide my hair is needing a cut. I am approached by my stylist, a young tall itallian man that speaks little english. We look at pictures and I point and he nods. I end up with the best haircut i have ever had. I would of paid just 15 euros fro the itallian hair cut experience. I continue the evening and end the night wandering throught the narrow alleys of Siena ...ending another day of happiness.
Amore, kb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Miss Katie - It sounds like you're having a blast. I enjoy reading about all of your adventures. Your pictures are beautiful. I think our McDonald's needs to start offering what they do in Italy - including beer! :) Take care! Suz