Thursday 26 April 2007

The coast line ride, Posetono to Pompei, Almaphie Cost Italy 3.5 hrrs 45k




The traffic will be slower today. Just to be extra cautious, I choose a route along the almaphie costline that will be less congested with traffic. I find myself winding up the usual switch backs that are 10-13 percent grade. I would rather not know this but I am wanned with big yellow signs. I have just realized that due to all my mountain descending, I will need new break pads before I go to the Sierra Nevadas in Spain (yes they are in the us too) with one of the highest mountain climb in WEstern Europe.

Lemon groves are terraced in the mountain hill side. Slight haze hides the clarity of the blue horizon. Dozens of cyclists are out toady, I pass a few pro teams. It is funny to see them react as I crews right by them on a climb or match their descent.I must mention that in the weeks I have been here, I have see hundreds of cyclists and not one has been female. I do not know why and I hope not to sterotype. But I have been told by itallian and spanish men, that women is spain or italy do not do this...ride the bike. They go shopping and wear the fancy clothes... and do the hair.. and go to the beach.. and go to the club.... and laa lala....and they always say this mocking a women walking, making little funny faces, and waving their hands making little noices. Yes they make more sound effects,faces, voices, and wave their hands more than I do. Generally they do not understand why I would come all the way fromUS to cycle. They wold rather come to the US. I guess human beings tend to not be happy where they are and always want more. Realizing this, it has made me ashamed that I am learning more about a foreign culture than what I know about my very own heritage and country. THis will cahnge when I get back.

I reach Pompei, the ancient ramins that have perfectly preserved a horror of a village that so long ago losts its existance due to ash and lava. To view these wonders, it will only cost me 20 euros or so... I decide that the outside ruins, viewed behind the fences from the street will be just fine for me. Besides I caught the discovery channel special on this a few months ago.

I return to Posetono by train and head to the beach for another end to a perfet itallian day.

OH YA.. I have been enjoying all bikes in Europe

No comments: