Tuesday 10 April 2007

First Day in Madrid

Welcome to my first posting. I hope you enjoy the pictures that I have posted along with a description of my travel adventure.

I arrived in Madrid at 9am. I managed to get some rest on the flight from Atlanta. It helped that I had a long week full of adventure or "drama". If you have not had a update on my week... I will keep it simple. Resigned form my job in Wyoming-moved cross county through snow, wind and rain- car broke down 3 hrs from Tennessee-moved in with my grandmother-packed for Europe- constructed a bag for my bicycle-crashed my bicycle, got bit by the dog that caused me to crash my bicycle- spent some time in the ER- and well some other things that I wish not to add You can say by the time I hopped on the plane I was ready to get away from it all. I just was wishing that maybe some good luck would find me soon. In the long run I handled it all pretty well- you can say I started to get numb to it all by the end of the week.

First luck came my way with no problems with the bicycle bag that carried my Giant road bike. My grandmother and I constructed a canvas bag with foam, grommets, a custom pocket, and straps. I was keeping my fingers crossed that the bag would meet the airlines guidelines. I knew I would have to pay the extra $200 fee for the size. Surprisingly, I was charged no fee for the bag and everyone seemed impressed that the bag had a full size bicycle inside. For all that are interested i can let you know how to make one- I will only charge you a little bit :)

Upon arrival into Spain, I quickly got accustomed to the city. Same traffic, same people, same smells, Starbucks, and metro. I quickly found a place that was more my speed. Situated in the city center is a large green park area. The smell of gas fumes became a scent of fragrant flowers. The sounds of traffic, horns, and people chatting on cell phones were replaced with the sound of chirping birds and in the background was a man playing his trumpet in a predictable Spanish melody. I made myself turn the ipod off. If there is one thing I know about myself is that I do not usually remember places or faces; the sounds and smells typically can bring back a memory.

I was taken with the large pond that surrounded the Moorish monument. The couples in row boats enjoying the day in the light spring may brought a smile to my face when I realized the typical American would not be frolicking in the park when it was raining. I guess the Spanish are different. Do they enjoy life differently? Do the women not worry about getting the hair wet or their pants dirty?


The fountains were the highlight of my afternoon. Each situated in the roundabouts scaling about 2 stories tall.

I spend the rest of the afternoon and evening wandering late into the night between the small alley streets of the old historic district. My hostel, ran by a enduring Spanish family gave me a sense of the traditional family values in this country. The whole family unit children, parents, and grandparents, uncles, aunts worked night and day to support their livelihood.

I retired to my single bed room that barely fit myself and my bicycle, my last thought was a wish that my next day would bring me to the country side where I can ride my bike.

amor' k

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alright Kate...Lets see come pictures of you and that bike on this trip..I hope your having a great time..

Be careful...Luv Ya...

Anonymous said...

so glad to hear from you! Glad you made your trip to Spain ok.
mp

Anonymous said...

Kate,
You are my hero! It all sounds so much like a novel I should be reading. Thanks for allowing us old "fogies" to live vicariously through you as you tour Europe. Be careful! (Okay, that was my mommy side)

Love, Aunt Bethy

Anonymous said...

Katelyn, talk about how you feel when you are gone. I am interrested in hearing how different the experience makes you feel....I am amazed at your strength and courage. I miss you blondie! Remember everything..take in every breathe.

Anonymous said...

hi katelyn,
I can't believe you're in Europe! I miss you very much and I hope I see you soon.

I love you!

Anonymous said...

Seeing the beauty is one thing but hearing your voice through words is another..I can already understand how much you needed this trip. Shedding off of an old skin that wounded you and realizing that life is beautiful adn meant to be lived. Ok blondie...keep riding I can't wait to see and hear more. :) Miss you.

Anonymous said...

how exciting! I sure couldn't do it! talk about brave. Love the pictures too. I look forward to your next entry! watch out for those dogs (and men).
mp