Monday 7 May 2007

Mulhacem Climb, Sierra Nevadas, Spain 106k 6.5 hrs

Yes, I was correct as expected. Vino and 4 hours of sleep do not help start a day off right when one is even struggling to put on her spandex...let alone go for a ride up a mountain. I have reminded myself that I deserve any agony that I feel today. I will not complain one time to myself or any other one. I will smile as I climb as Jim would always tell me to do.



I sit at breakfast and forcefeed myself to eat a hard boild egg, tostada "toasted bread", raisins, cheese, and a pear. I am not hungy due to my hangover and the amount of calories I consumed from Tapas and Vino. I must eat today because this may be the hardest bike ride for me up to this time in my life.

Mulhacem mountain is 3,482 meters (around 6,000 ft or so) and the seceond hardes peak in the Siera Nevada mountain range. The road up to the peak of Mulhacem is only 9k but increases 2,500 feet with sections of 17% grade and a average 8% grade. The climb is part of the Tour of Spain, a pro cycling race. Today I will ride 70k to get to the base of the mountain, my torture, the tourture I crave.





The roads are coverd with painted names of cycling pros. Actaully, a buddy from college racing days Tom Danielson, he is now a pro on Discovery(Lance Armstrong´s old team), won a race on this climb I am doing today. My tour guide thought it was pretty cool that we had similar pictures climbing up the same mountain. He gave me a copy of Tom.


Again I am greeted with switch backs that wind up the most spectacular views. I look behind and see the land that I came acrossed to get to this point where I ride. Vertigo at times overcomes me.






I pass the most interesting home that is carved in the rocks. I continue to wind up the hardest road yet to date for a ride. I am climbing a category 1 climb. Just as rivers and rock climbing have classes based on difficuilty, roads for cycling have the same system; however category 1 is the hardest. I am kicking myself that I did not put a more realistic chain ring combination on for my trip. I do not know if this is stubborness or something that was ingraved in me from my ex-husband. I would not want to be wimp. I am told by my cycling guide that most pros would not do this climb with the combination I am riding.





I stand, lean from side to side, pushing down on every stroke as hard as if I were digging a whole in Tennessee rock and clay laden dirt. I pull up on the peddles with a force that at times feels I may cause my foot to detach from my leg. I continue hoping to reach the top soon. I look up and it continues to not appear any closer.

Yes I reach to top and am shaking from my sugar dropping. I need a ice cream and sit and look at the beautiful land I just scaled on my bicycle.

Amore, Always

No comments: