Wednesday 16 May 2007

I am grumpy Guappa, Rabanual-Vega Valcarce Spain 76km 4.5 hrs


I am tired and exausted. I have only gone 55k in the past 3.5 hours but climbed about 2,500 feet into a head wind. Not only wind, but wyoming like wind..where you have to peddle to go down the hill.. and wet...did I mention rain..yes wet. I am cold. I have found a resturant out of the rain. As the other Pilgrims huddle under a big tree outside, I sit inside eating trout complete with head, eyeballs, and bones; as slow as I can so I can sit till the rain stops. It may not be a problem because the waiter has a crush on me. He keeps smiling really big, touches my face, and keeps calling my guappa. Guappa is a term in enderment that is similar to the southern darling or hunny. It can be used for a little girl or someone you are hot for. Anyway I hope this guappa can stay in a dry place for a while. I need to do another 20k or so, so I can stay on schedule. I am headed up a 1,600 foot climb and want to start my day with fresh legs for the climb. So the closer the better.




I am so amazed with beauty of this place. Today I have been riding on beautiful roads that parellel the cameno foot path. The beauty of the flowers accent all the monuments to Christ. Crosses are everywhere. There are formal crosses made from medel and stone or pilgrim made crosses that are made with twigs and pebbles.




The people are also amazing, as you pass you are greated with "bien camino" or good camino. If for some reason I am off my bicycle sitting on the side of the road, messing with my camera, doing downward dog to streatch my back, adjusting my bag, or putting on or off my rain gear for the 10 time in the day; it never fails someone stops to see if I am ok. Well I think this is what they are asking, because usually most of them do not speak english. As far as I can tell, there are alot of spanish, german, dutch, french, and itallians on the Pilgrimage.

This "welcomed" feeling is also felt in the Albergues. Tonight I found a Brazillian ran place calledAlbergue N.SRAN Aparecida DO BRASILthat what started by the owners in 2004 .It was shared that the main purpose was to expose others to the Brazilian cultures. The moment you walk in the doors, you see Brazilian decorations, hear Brazilian music, and even get to experience Brazilian food for a few bucks. We, the pilgrims, sit around a table set for 20, speak in our native languae why we are here. Our host, the owners of Albergue translate in english portugese french and spanish a wonderful toast.

Besides the obvious of why I enjoyed this experience, It was nice to have something different than spanish food for at least one meal.

Amore, Katelyn

BTW..CHECK OU TTHE LINK FOR INFO ON THE CAMINO AND ALBERGUE´S I STAYED AT

No comments: