Thursday 3 May 2007

I get to see the Sun Rise Venice, Italy










I stand on the tain platform, in my PJ´s, bike bag half packed, most of my clothes are crammed in a plastic bag, or tucked beneith my arms. It is DARK, 5:30 am, and I have just arrived in Venice on a night train. I am lucky my 2 non-english speaking bunk mates were able to help me gather my things in a hurry before the train left the station with me on it. It seems, I misunderstood when the train was to arrive. I thought 9:30 am....not 5:30 am. I instantly thought.. Well now I get to see the sunrise.

Venice is what you would imagine it to be. Water ways replace pavement, motor boats replace cars, ancient buildings are scaled with stone chizzled men and beasts, lovers stroll holding hands, beggers beg, and merchents pester. A city on the water dissapearing into the sea.

I took the water bus for a tour of the city. For a hour, I continue to be amazed by what I see. For a moment, I was even saddened that there was not more pavement. You see the goal of most road cyclists, is to find nice pavement that we can go for a ride on; exploring the world. I wish I could cover the city by bike, winding through the tiny streets, over bridges, and pass beautiful court yards. It woul take me days on foot to cover what i could do on a bicycle.

My Aussie friends asked if I like pigeons. What can one say..."well there are ok, kinda dirty, and scary when the take flight and slam into your body, but besides this, like I said they are ok. They giggled and then asked if they would buy some feed, would I feed the pigeons. "Sure why not", I replied, and they giggled.I arrived at Saint Peter's square and there were thousands of Pigeons being fed by tourists. I must say I only lasted a few minutes with this adventure... then went to wash my hands.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah Miss Katie - I'm glad you experienced feeding the pigeons. I had that same experience in Milan. It's overwhelming, isn't it? I love the look on your face! I miss riding with you. I had a great ride the other morning before work...alone. :( Nobody to chatter and entertain me the entire time. Oh so lonely. Glad you're having so much fun! Miss you! Susan

Anonymous said...

It is so wonderful that you are able to share your stories, I really enjoy reading them and seeing the picts. You sound so happy and I wish you the best of times. Keep 'em coming!
Miss you girly!
mp