Monday 14 May 2007

I am now a Pilgrim, Leon to Rabanal, Spain 76k 5hrs








Once I heard about the Santiago Cameno Pilgrimage, I knew I had to go and experience what millions have done over the past 2,000 years...well at least a portion of it. The pathway consisting of packed dirt, concete, gravel, and mud roads spans from France and southern Spain to end in Santiago Compostella. The entire pathway is marked with brass shells that are inlayed in city side walks, stone pillers with tiled sea shells, or paint that marks walls and roads.




After the crusifiction of Chris, Saint James came to Spain to share the gospel, King Herod did not like it...so James lost his head. After a series of events and your normal biblical miricles, Jame's body seem to find its way to Santiago, Spain. After the pilgrimages to Rome and Mecca, Santiago Cameno Pilgrimage is the 3rd largest traveled. Many come for different reason, some religious, others not. I come for many, I cannot figure it out yet, put I am drawned to this place.


Over 70,000 people a year have registered with the church to complete all or portions of this pilgrimage. Peopel come by foot, bike, and even horse back. Registering is a benefit, due to the tremendious savings that occur when you are on your way. "The Way" it is called by all, is lined with Albergues and hostels that cater to pilgrims. For about 5-8 euros, you can find a bunk bed in a dry room with a pillow and blanket, hot water,sometimes breakfast, a washing machine and computer if you are lucky. If you can learn to sleep with 12-50 people making noise, especially with all the snoring, and turning on the lights at 5am for some reason, you will find youself with a pretty inexpensive vacation. On top of this, ther are set menu´s for pilgrims. This is usually a 3 course meal with wine and bread for anywhere from 5-8 euros. Alll you have to do is show your pilgrim passport or Credencidal de Peregrino. This then will become full of stamps, documenting all the places you have stopped.


Others will also have a visible sign of their pilgrimage, besides the obvious sign of people walking or riding with a backpack full of crap, you can usually tell a pilgrim by the shell they wear on around their neck, or hanging from their pack, or mounted on their walking staff. I choose a leather version that I purchased at the monistary in Leon. When you get to Santiago, you submitt your passport then you receive a Certificate of Completion.


I am starting my Pilgrimage in Leon. This is about 350km from Santiago and should only take me 4 days to complete if I stick to 75-90k a day. My goal is to be done by my Birthday on Wednesday. So far I am on track and have completed my first day ad a Pilgrim.

No comments: