Saturday 22 September 2007

Isle of Arran, 32 miles


I was a bit disappointed that my first scheduled Tour did not book. However, I am giving myself a big break because I cannot expect much with only advertising a little..little bit only starting two months ago. This is why I am here, in europe. I purchased my plane ticket so I could lead the first tour in Scotland, but with it not booking left me time to really explore the route in SW Scotland and scope out Tuscany again for next year. So all is good..... When I arrived to Brodick on the Isle of Arran, I already felt like I had been there.
I planned the tour with Liz, she had already told me so much about it. I have read books, surfed the net, and studied maps about this place so I could put it on the website and plan a detailed agenda...


Port Brodick is about a 45 minute ferry ride from the mainland. I must say this was an exciting point of the trip for Ruben and I. I do not think you get that many ferries in Tennessee or Spain; so the 70 pound fee to take 2 passengers and a car over and back, was worth it. Brodick, the metropolis of the Island is not really much at all. It is a small Village really, no movie theater, a few hotels, loads of bed and breakfasts, a grocery, and a row of bars and little shops. This place is absolutely beautiful with the sea side views and quaint little village. I have found that the best part of the villages of Scotland is all the bed and beaskfasts. Chain hotels, or hotels at all are non existent here. The way to do it here is to stay at a small farmhouse or little stone cottage on the beach with a family that welcomes you to their home.

You may luck upon a B&B that is not booked, but most of the time stopping by the visitors center to get assistance with booking, is the best way to go. This night we ended in a beautiful stone farm house, complete with garden and chickens.

Upon arrival we were greated by our house master, kelt and real knife stuck in his sock..

I only know this because he whipped it out--the knife that is.... A character if I can say that. Friendly and polite, yes all scottish are, but also talked your ear off-half of what I could not understand. I can tell you it took a hour to talk about breakfast. I knew everything you wanted to ever know about a scottish breakfast and what all the other guest were having and even at what time. Ruben would just look at me about every 5 minutes and mouth the words.."What is he talking about". Normally, Ruben says this because he cannot really understand the scottish english (most of the time I do not either) so he is roaming around this place how I do in Spain. So I just looked at him and said, I have no idea...I really did not. I just looked and smiled and nodded as I noticed this character with a Scottish style mulet also had a necked lady necklace wrapped around his neck next to his traditional decorative pins and chains. Besides the strange meeting, I can say the stay in this quaint b&b was what you think it should be, warm, full o charm and a since of history and family, complete with a scottish breakfast.


A scottish breakfast....... Fried Eggs, mushrooms, grilled tomatoes, potatoes cakes, sausage, haggas, bacon, ham, and if you are lucky..beans. Ahhhh ya......I found myself dumping all my meat on Rubens plate, of wich 3/4 of the plate consists of. He would always shake his head no, but then would always eat it because he told me he was raised not to waste.
The first few days, I thought he was going to have problems....spanish do not eat this much meat in a week, nor consume over 500 calories before 2pm. Ruben was always wanting olive oil and not butter; butter, something not existent in a Spanard's diet. However, after the 3rd scottish breakfast, I think he was looking forward to it, because if he had a choice of anything else, he always wanted the scottish breakfast. A big breakfast is always good before a good ride. A perfect ride is what we got this day.



I choose the top half loop of the Isle of Arran. Only 32 miles winding along the coast and through the breathtaking island mountains adorned with sheep, but a hard ride fighting the strong sea head wind and climbing up at times for 30+ minutes on single paved roads only big enough for one car. And a few cars is what we saw as we rode. I began to be amazed how fast Ruben's fitness improved on a bicycle. Ruben was always there right besides me talking away or right behind me on my wheel working his flat peddles to the max...well until I stopped for a phone call and told him to go on...as I took a wrong turn..the only wrong turn on the island. Luckily I rode pass a cyclist that sent me in the correct direction toward the "scantily dresses lad".At this time I was about 4 miles ahead with all possible layers on to keep warm from the chilling head win. When I finally caught him, at the end of the ride, Ruben was smiling because he knew I was going to take a wrong turn. Something he picked up on after me being the co captain driving through Glascow.


At the end the day I am thankful that this will not be the last time I will be here... I will return, hopefully with a van full of customers.


Amore,

Katelyn

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Just debating with my girl friend whether to rent a car or cycle around Arran. your blog was great to read and hopefully convinces us to ride.

thanks denzil

Anonymous said...

Arran is a great place for cycling, I enjoy taking visitors there my self see http://kimharding.net/blog/?p=87, my advice to anyone planning to go would be leave the car behind and just take the bikes.