Wednesday 12 September 2007

Big Car Little Roads 007, Glencoe, Scotland 16 miles just cruzin

I asked Ruben to name this Blog, and it fits perfect.

I have come to learn that I enjoy seeing him respond to unusual-alties of his new world. I guess it is the same for him when he sees me discover the Spanish world. Seeing the excitement on my face, the discovery; like a child experiencing a new thing; such as a first roller coater ride, going to the zoo and seeing a real lion, or a first movie in a big theater. Things we take for granted, normal, no-big deal, usual; elements in our world, can be a realm to discovery for another. This discovery can spark imagination, revelation, and re-route the mind map. What matters most is… if as human beings we are willing to make the effort to truly see, feel, share, and experience. My world has become this and I have enjoyed every moment of it, and the people I have met have lead me this way..only because now for the first time in my life my eyes are open.

My arrival at the airport was what I expected…..seeing my two friends, Liz and Ruben with the biggest smiles. Liz, says…. Hi-Yaaaaa with that cheery Scottish accent and gives me the most perfect little giggle; Ruben, smiles and says….hellllooo….as he annunciates the l’s and extends the o’s to unknowingly replicate a “American Hello”. He always adds a tad bit of a Spanish greeting seemingly to remind me that he is Spanish and I need to try to understand him…just a little. They are late, as they had a flat tire and picked up a stray dog that wandered on the motorway. I am over 24 hours late because I missed my plane, but had a geat day and night in Pisa. Ruben said it perfectly,we have a present for you, Lizaaaa, being the social worker that she is, picked up a stray dog on the motorway. No stress, it is all ok, it is time to start our adventure, and it begins with renting a car.

I actually thought it would be good to rent a mid size car, big enough to put two bicycles with the wheels off into the back. Being thrifty that I am, I was tempted to get the euro version of the economy vehicle, and I can tell you that some golf carts seem bigger. Being the American I am, I thought we need something bigger = more safe = in additon to being able to haul more crap than we really need. At first glance, the car was a midsize vehicle, Similar but a little larger than a Honda accord. If you would of seen Rubens reaction, you would of thought he was about to drive a racing school bus. “Wowww, wow, wowwwww, wow, wow”….then something in Spanish. He walked up and down the car, and kept pointing to it and saying, this is a good car. It got better. As he entered the driver’s side, (on the second try only because for some reason the drivers side is where the passenger side is in Europe and the US) sat down, started to play with all the buttons, his eyes were big, he was giggling, kept-on and-on- in Spanish. This car, not practical or necessary for a man like Ruben, was a treat on his holiday and he made me take lots of pictures so he could show his friends back home. He was happy with something so simple in my mind…It made me happy.
I volunteered not to drive at all. #1. I have not driven a stick shift in a few years #2 I still have not mastered the round-about 3# I do not think I could get over my instinct to drive on the right side of the road (this was evident as I rode my bicycle and could not stay off the right side of the road) #4. I need to get work done and driving in the car is the perfect time to read and work on the lap top. #5. I am a pretty scary driver when there is traffic, because I have lived out of a city for too long.


We head back to Liz’s house for the night, to eat her homemade curry, drink, get the bikes ready, and visit. Yes, getting the bikes ready was an adventure. You see Liz has clip peddles and Ruban has no bike shoes, so we opted to place flat peddles on the bike. Try..to place the flat peddles on the bike. One was stuck. We all tried to get it off with evey tool imaginable. Liz suggested we take it to the bike shop; so we did. As we entered this little village bike shop, a old Scotish man…old hand shaking, hunch back man greeted us. I looked at Ruben, I smiled, he smiled and the both started to laugh, We both knew that this man was not going to be able to get the peddle off. He did not, and I felt guilty even watching him fumble around looking like he was goging to have a heart attach any momenet if he exerted any more effort into getting the peddle off. Luckily the old man had a extra crank; so Ruben’s ride got a new crank and peddle.
As we head north to the Isle of Skye, we both became accustomed with Scottish roads. Little, little roads. At some pint they even become one lane with areas to pull over to let the upcoming car pass. I decided that due to my nerves while being a passenger, I should look down, and stay distracted as we wind up and down the highlands, around the most beautiful scenery. I was only aware of the beauty when Ruben began to speak in Spanish how beautiful everything was, or he yelled and pointed, “Take a Picture…It is the most Beauty!”. He went on an on about the beauty.. It almost seemed that his excitement to be in this foreign land, was double more than mine. I smile because I know this excitement extends partly from the Spanish culture to be expressive, and partly Ruben and his ability to know what to say at the moment….how he feels, even if it is in broken English. So I was alerted when we came upon the green rock mountains, bare of all trees, land christened with the most vibrant colorful flora, and surrounded by locks. All of this, with typical Scottish cottages, fishing boats docked at the ports is what I saw if I dared to look up. The bicycle ride that evening before the sun disappeared behind the highlands, just to get on our bikes for the first time, was the ample opportunity to absorb all that I missed because my face was in the computer.
So Look up sometimes with open eyes and you will be amazed.


Cheers,
Katelyn
























































































No comments: