Sunday 29 June 2008

My grandmother recently said that she was surprised I have not written many BLOGS since my departure two months ago. I look back and it seems I write when inspired, and usually this is brought on by a new landscape, unique food, unpredictability of people, or just the fact my eyes are more open and looking..

I can look up and see remains of roman aquaducts before my gaze focuses on the distant horizon of rock formations that were once spiritual grounds of pagans.

Cobbled narrow paths wind as a puzzle through my “now’ home.
Yes, as I walk down the streets of Monistrol de Montserratt, to pick up groceries at all four separate tiendas of fruit, bread, meat, and a special store for fresh eggs; I am still amazed at the ancient beauty of this village, yet not surprised anymore.

But I guess this association of “home” is the reason for my lack of inspiration. A home; for most takes on a form of comfort and predictability, perhaps the same with the regular routine of work, or possible relationships with friends and family. With this, I think we forget to see what we have, because we already “know” what we have, and we know what to expect; thus our eyes, our minds, and our spirit becomes dull and perhaps not inspired anymore.

Kafka says it best, “Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty never grows old”.

I think this is true and the easiest during Holiday or Vacation, but I think most importantly the ability to live this in our normal, comfort-filled, predictable grind of everyday life, is most important…being if it is in Spain, Nashville, in a office, on a mountain, with family, or a stranger.

So as I am led by my guide



up multi-pitch peaks of Montserratt National Forest, my "now" home,



climbing for hours, and resting just a little as we dangle or crouch


struggling to overcome my fear and make it to the top



to only turn around and climb down, seemingly a more dangerous route

I am reminded that all in life should be just as beautuful and inspiring as the first time you see it.
Amor,
Katelyn

No comments: